Bed bugs can be very difficult to get rid of because of their incredible ability to hide in cracks and crevasses. They have also developed resistance to many pesticides.1 The GoodKnight bed offers a unique and effective solution, using a combination of heat-purification technology and built-in trapping system.
Heat Purification Technology
Heat is known to be very effective at killing bed bugs.2 Heat also has the advantage of being non-toxic, and can kill all life stages of the bed bug, including the eggs. Studies show that temperatures above 49'C (120'F) will kill bed bugs in less than 1 minute.2 At the lower temperature of 46’C, all bed bugs will die in less than 6 minutes.3 The GoodKnight uses convective heat to bring the mattress and bedding to temperatures above 50'C (122'F) for at least 20 minutes. The treatment is safe, being no hotter than the clothes drier, and effective, killing all bed bugs within the enclosure.
House dust mites are often a major source of indoor allergens.4 The GoodKnight can play a significant role in reducing dust mites in the sleeping environment by killing them with heat. The target temperature of the GoodKnight, 50'C (122'F) will kill 100% of dust mites in 20 minutes.5
The full GoodKnight heat-purification cycle lasts 3hrs, giving the convective heat enough time to penetrate into the fabric and other materials, reaching pests that may be deeper in the fabric. Below are some other pests that can be eliminated with the GoodKnight.
< 1 minute 2
20 minutes 5
Human Body Louse
1 hour 7
1 hour 7
Built-in Trapping System
The second part of the invention is based on these well-known entomological facts:
- bed bugs are obligate blood feeders-- if they do not get a blood meal, they die
- they generally feed at night (particularly in the hours before dawn)8
The GoodKnight takes advantage of this behavior, by luring them to the bed at night, and destroying them in the built-in trapping system. There are no migration routes in and out of the bed aside from through these impenetrable traps.
The GoodKnight Edge
Test-pilot studies show that the GoodKnight can provide the user with instant relief from bed bug bites and allows them to sleep undisturbed.
For less than the price of a single exterminator heat-treatment, the GoodKnight user can sleep in the total comfort of a heat-purified bed. The user will also enjoy 24/7 protection from bedbugs, allergy-causing dust mites, and germs, and have the ability to sterilize the bed as often as they want.
(1) Insecticide Resistance in the Bed Bug: A Factor in the Pest’s Sudden Resurgence? Potter, D., Haynes, K.F., Potter, M., and A. Romero. 2007. J. Med. Entomol. 44(2): 175Ð178
(2) Lethal Effects of Heat and Use of Localized Heat Treatment for Control of Bed Bug Infestations
Roberto M. Pereira, Philip G. Koehler, Margie Pfiester, and Wayne Walker
2009. J. Med. Entomol. 102 (3), 1182-1188
(3) Lethal Effects of Heat and Use of Localized Heat Treatment for Control of Bed Bug Infestations
Pereira, R.M., Koehler, P.G., Pfiester, M., and W. Walker. 2009. Journal of Economic Entomology. 102 (3), 1182-1188
(4) Larry G. Arlian, Thomas A.E. Platts-Mills, The biology of dust mites and the remediation of mite allergens in allergic disease, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Volume 107, Issue 3, Supplement, March 2001, Pages S406-S413, ISSN 0091-6749, 10.1067/mai.2001.113670.
(5)Mahakittikun V, Wongkamchai S, Ahamad MH, Vichyanond P (2001) Killing mites with heat. Allergy Net 56:262
(6) Mellanby, K., Johnson, C.G., Bartley, W.C. and P. Brown. Experiments on the Survival and Behaviour of the Itch Mite, Sarcoptes scabiei DeG. var. hominis. 1942. Bulletin of Entomological Research, 33, pp 267-271. doi:10.1017/S0007485300026584.
(7) Mellanby, K. 1932. The influence of atmospheric humidity on the thermal death point of a number of insects. Journal of Experimental Biology. 9(2)
(8) Bed Bug Bites: A Review. Thomas I, Kihiczak GG, Schwartz RA. 2004. Int J Dermatol.;43(6):430-3